Audition Requirements (BA in Music)
In addition to being accepted into the college, BA in Music students are required to audition for acceptance into the music program. After you are accepted into the college, the Music Department chair will contact you to set up an audition time. (If you would like to contact the Music Department before the department chair contacts you, please call Kay Gale at 607-436- 3415).
During your audition day, you will receive a free lesson with an instructor in your primary instrument/voice area, receive a tour of our facilities, and meet with a music student ambassador. Please allow two to three hours for your visit.
It is preferred that your audition is conducted on campus, so you can meet with faculty and students within the department. However, if you are unable to audition in person, please notify the Music Department chair to discuss alternatives.
- Fill out the audition request form. Once you click “Submit,” the music department chair will receive your request and inform the audition committee.
- The audition committee will contact you by email to set up the date and time of your audition. Auditions for spring enrollment will be set up as needed. For fall enrollment, auditions will be offered between January 18 and April 15. The audition will last about one hour. Auditions are held Monday-Thursday (NO weekend auditions)
- About two weeks after the audition, you will receive a letter from the department chair with the recommendation of the committee. Upon passing the audition, you will be admitted as a Music major.
- The committee may recommend that you improve certain skills by taking one semester of lessons. You will audition again after that.
General Audition Criteria
All auditions include the four elements listed below. Specific requirements for vocalists and percussionists are also listed. Students are encouraged to consult their teacher to select good literature that can be performed well.
- Performance of two contrasting selections
- A singing test to determine aural skills
- A music theory test (basic fundamentals)
Vocal Audition Requirements
Voice auditions (20 minutes): Students will be asked to sing two contrasting songs from memory, be vocalized to hear the quality of voice in different ranges, and to sight read a few exercises. A short interview will follow discussing student’s experience and interests in the degree programs in the department. Provide music in a three-ring binder, or in a book, for the accompanist. Be prepared to perform first and have the interview after you sing.
Percussion Audition Requirements
All percussionists applying for entry to the BA Music major should prepare solos on two of the following instruments of their choice:
- Snare drum
- Vibraphone or Marimba
- Timpani or Multiple percussion
Auditioning students should also be prepared to demonstrate the following:
- 40 PAS rudiments on snare drum
- All major and minor scales on a mallet instrument
- Basic styles on drumset (rock, swing, etc.)
- Sightreading on snare and a mallet instrument
Auditioning students should bring two copies of each prepared solo, and all sticks/mallets they need to perform. All instruments will be provided, but students are welcome to bring their own snare if desired.