Audition Process for the BA in Music (updated 10/16/2020)*
*Due to safety concerns related to COVID-19, the Music Department is currently offering exclusively online auditions for the 2021-22 academic year. If in-person auditions are deemed to be safe, this webpage will be updated. In all cases, the Music Department will continue to accept and give equal consideration to online auditions.
In addition to being accepted into the college, prospective BA in Music students are required to audition for the Music Program. After receiving notification of acceptance into the college, please follow the procedure below.
- Contact the Music Department at (607) 436-3415 or firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 03/31/2021 to indicate your interest in auditioning, to schedule a virtual meeting with the BA in Music Audition Committee, to receive a video link to a virtual tour of the Music Department facilities, and to request specific audition requirements for your instrument .
- Send YouTube or Vimeo video links to your performances of the required repertoire/techniques (see General Audition Requirements below) to email@example.com by 4/16/2021.
No more than four weeks after the audition, you will receive a letter from the Music Department Chair with the recommendation of the Audition Committee. In some cases, the Committee may recommend that you be admitted on probationary terms (undeclared major). In this case, you will be offered the opportunity to take lessons during your first semester to work on any areas that need improvement, followed by a second audition for the program.
General Audition Requirements for the BA in Music
All auditions videos must include:
- Performance of two contrasting selections
- Major scales and arpeggios, and fundamentals, rudiments, or vocalizations specific to your instrument
- Identification of your name, instrument or voice type, repertoire and technical materials to be presented at the start of your video (via text or verbal announcement)
Under the present circumstances, we will accept recordings of vocal and instrumental works with or without accompaniment.
Prospective students are encouraged to consult private instructors and/or ensemble directors to select appropriate repertoire.
Specific Audition Criteria for Percussion
Percussionists applying for entry to the BA Music major should present solos on two of the following instruments of their choice:
- Snare Drum
- Vibraphone or Marimba
- Drum set
- Timpani/Multiple Percussion/Hand Drums