Red the dragon is a powerful goodwill ambassador who best serves the college by mingling within the campus community. The Office of Communication and Marketing makes a mascot costume available to campus organizations through an online reservation process accessible to all SUNY Oneonta employees.
Mascot Process, Guidelines and Responsibilities
- Red may be used only in connection with college-related events. The mascot may only be used for the reason for use/event stated on the SUNY Oneonta Mascot Request Form, which initiates the reservation process.
- Red is generally available for pick-up and return at the Office of the President Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. when the college is open.
- Red is fierce, but not indestructible. Those who request the mascot are responsible for the care of the costume throughout their reservation period, and its timely return.
- Our mascot comes in a carrying bag, along with dressing instructions and cooling inserts that need to be immersed in cold water for 30 minutes immediately prior to their use. Red also includes an onboard exhaust fan that requires eight AA batteries, which will be supplied. It is challenging for one person to carry the mascot and its accouterments. Having an assistant, especially when picking up the costume, is recommended.
- The Office of Communication and Marketing does not provide staff to wear the mascot costume, which was designed to be worn by a person of medium build whose height is 5'10", or help transport it.
- Mascot costumes require special maintenance and cleaning by off-site vendors. Because of this, and the potential for competing requests for the costume, Communication and Marketing cannot guarantee Red’s availability.
The Dos and Don’ts of Being Red
- Mascots are physical. They pose for photos, give thumbs-ups, flex their muscles, “high five” those who engage them, do simple dances, and elicit positive interactions through movement.
- Mascots are non-verbal. They do not talk.
- Wearers must keep in mind that the costume limits their visibility, range of motion, and grip. They need to exercise caution in the use of props.
- Our costume is heavy. It requires stamina to wear and must not be worn for long periods of time.