***EMERGENCY COVID-19 Certificate***
“Candidates who are seeking certain certificates and extensions that require exam(s) may be eligible for the Emergency COVID-19 certificate, allowing them to work in New York State public schools or districts for two years while taking and passing the required exam(s) for the certificate or extension sought.”
(as stated by the New York State Department of Education 9/14/21)
For further updates and eligibility guidelines, please visit here: Emergency COVID-19 Certificate
SUNY Oneonta offers a range of NY State certification programs in teaching which are approved by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and Board of Regents.
The Office of Education Advisement & Field Experience can help you understand and navigate the various certification requirements associated with your SUNY Oneonta education program degree. We also process various portions of the paperwork pertinent to certification. If you are completing program requirements at the college, or are an alumnus/ae seeking certification guidance, we encourage you to use our services.
While we are pleased to assist our candidates and alums with certification, please remember that your certification is YOUR responsibility!
Complete the Certification Recommendation Form
In order for the college to recommend you for certification, you must print and complete the information release form. Please return the completed and signed release form to the Registrar's Office (130 Netzer) prior to graduation.
All fingerprinting required by New York State Education Department (NYSED) for certification must be scheduled with MorphoTrust at IdentoGO's website. For complete directions and information on the fingerprinting process, please see NYSED Fingerprinting Process from Start to Finish. This link will provide details including fees, service codes needed for the process, and contact information relevant to the process.
Register for, take and pass the New York State Teacher Certification Exams
Complete all Coursework and program requirements for your SUNY Oneonta Degree
Complete the SUNY Oneonta Diploma Application
- You should file a Diploma Application the semester prior to your intended graduation. Applications may be picked up at the Registrar's Office (Netzer 130). The fee is $5.00. Payment may be made by check or money order made payable to O.A.S. S.A. Diploma Account or Dragon Dollars.
Your degree will NOT be posted to your transcript unless you indicate that you are intending to graduate.
- Recommendations for certification cannot be made to the NYS Education Department until your graduation date has been posted to your transcript. This generally occurs about 4 weeks after your graduation date.
Apply Online for your Initial Certificate(s)
- Go to TEACH Online Services website
- Login to TEACH with your username and password (or create one)
- Click on “TEACH Online Services”
- Click on “Apply for Certificate”
- The steps to complete the application process are:
- Verify/update profile
- Select Certificate(s): Input Appropriate Program Code for your Degree
- Answer Questions and Sign Affidavit
- Confirm and Sign Application
- Make payment
After your degree is awarded by the college (posted to your transcript), OEAFE will transmit the college recommendation for your certificate(s) to the Office of Teaching Initiatives to be matched with your application. You will be able to view the recommendation in your TEACH Account under College Recommendations.
As soon as all NYS requirements for the certificate(s) have been met, the certificate will issue. You will be able to view the status of your certificate in the same way that you apply for your certificate--by logging into your TEACH Account.
Paper certificates for initial certification are not mailed. For proof of your certification, please print your TEACH record.