Learn how to properly get rid of your recycling, garbage or gently used items with our Red Dragon Recycling Sort Game. Make sure to take a screenshot of your certificate at the end of the game and submit it (form found below) to get entered in a raffle for a Lush or Patagonia gift card raffle! Click the game below to play.
SUNY Oneonta actively tracks its waste production and is committed to reducing and diverting waste. Single stream recycling has been instituted across campus to simplify the recycling process. In addition to items that are processed in our single stream bins (all clean paper, hard plastics, glass, cardboard and metal) we actively pursue opportunities to recycle non-traditional materials. Some highlights below:
- In 2019-20, 680 tons of garbage and 211 tons of recycling were processed with a recycling rate of 23%
- Each spring the college collects and diverts worn mattresses diverting and recycling 100,000 lbs. of material from the landfill in 2019
- Scrap metal and cardboard are collected separately and recycled at Otsego Auto Crushers earning rebates when the market allows. In 2019-20, 98 tons were collected in 2019-20 earning $1300
- Styrofoam is collected at special events and during fall student move in and recycled at the Otsego ReUse Center
- Move Out, an annual initiative collecting gently used materials from students moving on in the spring, donates approximately 5 tons of materials to the local community each year
- TerraCycle collections of used dental hygiene products, beauty care products and more are collected from residence halls and the campus community
Interested in learning more about specific waste and recycling guidelines? Check out the SUNY Oneonta How Do I Get Rid Of? page and NYS Recyclopedia. Both are search tools that provide reduce, reuse and recycle guidelines for specific commonly used household items.
How Do I Get Rid Of? https://suny.oneonta.edu/sustainability/waste-recycling/how-do-i-get-rid
NYS Recyclopedia https://recyclerightny.org/statewide-recyclopedia