To ensure transferability
All currently matriculated students who wish to take courses from another institution must obtain Prior Approval from the Academic Advisement Center. This is to ensure that the course is appropriate for the individual student and will be accepted by SUNY Oneonta if passed.
Students who wish to take courses from another institution during the Fall or Spring semester must apply for an Academic Leave of Absence.
Once an equivalent course is found, a Prior Approval for Transfer Credit form must be submitted and approved by the Academic Advisement Center before the course is taken.
If you believe a course you have taken was not granted the appropriate equivalency, you may appeal to have the course reviewed for a different equivalency.
A Course Substitution is submitted by the Chair of a Department to allow a course not normally permitted, to fulfill an academic requirement. Course Substitutions are done at the discretion of a Department Chair.
If a student would like to request that a substitution be done within their major, they would make the request through the department that houses the major. If approved, the department fills out and submits the appropriate form to Academic Advisement for processing. Once the substitution is processed, it is reflected on the student's DegreeWorks.
As a currently matriculated student, I understand the following:
- There are a number of rules that must be applied when determining where, how, and if a course may be approved to be taken at another institution.
- Students who wish to take courses from another institution during the Fall or Spring semester must apply for an Academic Leave of Absence.
- SUNY has a policy for Cross Registration. Certain rules apply.
- This database is a guide to course equivalencies and not a guarantee of transferability.
- The attached database includes all evaluated courses from SUNY institutions. For courses not on the system or from non-SUNY institutions, contact or visit Academic Advisement.
- I must obtain prior approval (my guarantee of transferability of coursework) from the Academic Advisement Center before I take course work at another institution.